Now that you have picked out a date, a photographer and maybe a few other wedding details it’s time for your engagement session! We believe that your engagement session is a super important part of your entire wedding planning process. Your engagement session gives you and your photographer the chance to really get to know each other. It’s important for the photographer to get to know her bride and groom as well as the couple to get to know their photographer. You as a couple will get to know how the photographer works and what to expect for your other photography sessions during your wedding planning process/time line. Your engagement session can be scheduled anytime before your wedding day. It is suggested to book this session in advance especially during the busy wedding season. Depending on the time of the year the better times to get your engagement sessions are as follows:
Winter (December through March): 3-5 PM
Spring (April through May): Varies
Summer (June through August): 6:30-8:30 PM
Winter (September through November): Varies
Start brainstorming about locations where you want your engagement session done, if you need any suggestions you can always ask for suggestions/recommendations from your photographer. It’s always fun to pick a location that means something to you, somewhere that has memories or sentimental value to you as a couple. Sit down with your groom and go over location options, previous engagement sessions done by your photographer, inspiration you found on Pinterest or pick out your outfits together. Also once you have picked out a location talk with your photographer about this location to talk about the best time to shoot. Some locations might not have enough sunlight at sunset but have plenty during sunrise.
It can be a little bit crazy picking out outfits and locations for your engagement photos/session, you want to look nice and be comfortable and have an incredible location. This prep can seem daunting so we have some tips to make those outfit and locations choices a little bit easier.
1) Do NOT try to match your outfits. You can tie your outfits together with the accessories.
2) Do NOT be afraid to be BOLD! Have fun, be you! Use bold accessory pieces.
3) Stay away from graphics, patterns area okay as long as they are not too busy and distracting.
4) Use pinterest for outfit inspiration.
5) Take things out of your pockets. We are all so used to having our phone and other items in our pockets, these types of things could show up in your photos.
6) Do not be afraid to have more than one outfit. If you want to do an outfit change make sure to start out with your dressier option first.
7) DO make sure you are comfortable and feel like you.
8) Punctuality is super important. When your shoot is scheduled for sunrise or sunset you have a certain amount of time for the best lighting.
9) Clean your ring! You are going to get so many photos taken of your ring or your ring will be in a lot of photos, make sure that gorgeous ring is super sparkly!
10) Don’t forget to relax and have fun. A lot of couple get stiff in their poses but just have fun and make it fun!